Wednesday 17 April 2013

Swirled Cookie Pops!

         



Well, I hope you're all coping with the end of the holidays! I am most definitely missing them... 7 AM is just way too early for waking up!

But on a more positive note, I don't know about you but we are having some gorgeous weather at the moment. Bring on the sunshine, shorts, Holidays, and dresses! Or maybe not dresses as it's been mad windy round here recently.
It's weird to think that only a few weeks ago some places were buried under drifts of snow?!

Anyway, back on track, the bake. These were my fist ever try at cookie pops, and like any first attempt it had its fair share of mishaps... The major issue being that on my first "tester" tray of cookie pops I put them in the oven with their PLASTIC sticks inserted... Clever move on my part I know, so yeah as you  can Imagine it didn't take long before I realised that the sticks probably shouldn't look glossy and wet and be wilting in the oven... So I took them out and scrapped that tray. So disaster averted I decided to put the cookies in the oven with a hole already inserted in them, but no stick, and bake them before putting the stick in once they were cool. I glued them in place with melted chocolate. This was until  came across some wooden lollipop sticks and decided to try those out as well, for anyone who is interested I can assure you that the best thing to use for cookie pops are most certainly using wooden lollipop sticks. Bake them with the wooden sticks already inserted, Not plastic ones... That said in the pictures mine have the plastic sticks as most f them were done that way. But aside from that minor disaster all went fine and the results were delicious! 

The recipe was an adaptation of one in the book Make Me Cake and Cookie Pops and I will be trying other recipes from this book for sure as there is some very cute ideas. Also, expect to see a lot more "Pops", of all varieties, as I now have a few different Pop books and am planning to do a review of them all at some point in the future.

Only two more full days until the weekend!

Much Love Alex-Rose xxx

Swirled Cookie Pops
Ingredients:
  • 180g Unsalted butter
  • 220g Caster Sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
  • 1 Egg
  • Food Colouring
  • 300g Flour
  • 2/4 tsp Baking Powder
Beat the butter and sugar until smooth them gradually beat in the egg and vanilla. Split the mixture between two bowl and add food colouring to one, make the colour very strong as it will fade in the oven. Sieve 150g of flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder into each bowl and beat until it comes together then use your hands to mould the dough into a smooth ball. Flatten each of the doughs into thick squares, then lay them on top each other. Place on a lightly floured surface and roll the layered dough until around one centimetre in thickness. Next roll up the dough into a Swiss roll like sausage you may need to splash the dough with water as the flour might make the dough dry and not hold its swirl. Place this in the fridge, wrapped in cling film and leave there for around 20 minute or until firmed. Preheat oven to 180c.
Use a knife to cut 1 centimetre thick rounds from the dough, you should be left with a spiral pattern on the cookie. Push a stick halfway into the circles and put them well spaced onto a tray and bake for 15 minutes, leave to cool then enjoy! xx

6 comments:

  1. These look amazingly yummy, I need to try and make them


    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if you do drop by and tell me how they went! Or tweet me @AlexRoseRCC

      xxx

      Delete
  2. These sound delicious!!! I love ur blog and also love anything sweet. Raining cakes and cookies wish it was really likes that. I followed you,please follow me back at-http://aggirlforever.blogspot.in/

    -Asmita

    ReplyDelete
  3. those cookie pops look yummy
    thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious and fun!
    Will be trying them! Thanks for the recipe!

    Check out my blog!
    http://evrything-nothing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete