Wednesday 26 December 2012

Christmas Bake #10

I hope you  had a lovely Christmas, and "Father Christmas" was good to you all as well, he certainly was here and I received many lovely gifts from family and friends one of which was a new set of piping nozzles,  I'm such a baking geek, I know... and another "The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes" recipe book! So to test these gifts I baked some of The Hummingbird Bakery's vanilla cupcakes with pink vanilla frosting!



Lots of love Alex-Rose xxxx

Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting (From The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes Book)

The recipe does seem a little odd, but the book assures you to have faith and continue, follow the recipe and the end result will be beautiful!

Ingredients:

  • 120g Plain Flour
  • 140g Caster Sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
  • A Pinch of Salt
  • 40g Unsalted Butter
  • 120ml Milk
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
Method:
Pre-heat your oven to 170c.
In a free-standing mixer beat, the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and the butter. Continue to beat until the mixture resembles almost sand. Then pour in half of the milk, and beat until just incorporated. In a separate bowl whisk the remaining milk, egg, and vanilla extract then pour into the flour mix before beating until smooth *Use a spatula to make sure that there is no flour patches! But don't over mix* The mixture will be quite runny but carry on, spoon into paper cases and put into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer can come out clean. Set them aside to cool, and take this opportunity to make your icing!

For the frosting:
Ingredients:

  • 250g Icing Sugar
  • 80g Softened Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons of Milk
  • 1/4 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
  • A few drops of food colouring
Method:
Put the butter and icing sugar into the bowl of a free-standing mixer and beat on a slow/medium speed until it comes together,  then turn up the speed. Continue to beat. In a separate bowl whisk the vanilla and the milk before adding gradually to the butter and icing sugar. Beat on a high speed for a further five minutes and then spoon into a piping bag and swirl onto the cooled cakes. Enjoy! xxx

3 comments:

  1. Hi again....I'm still here having look around all your bakes look scrummy and are all my kind of thing.
    Cute cupcakes,how did u find the humingbird recipe? I'm trying to find a great go to vanilla cupcake and was gonna give them a try but the odd measurements put me off plus when I tried the primrose recipe I didn't like the result. what did u think? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly the hummingbird recipe is from their cupcakes and muffin book, I reviewed it at the beginning of January. The recipe does seem a little odd, as do the measurements but have faith the results are lovely. They are very moist and springy and they didn't rise up in a peak, so you can ice then easily. Their butter icing is by far the best I've tried!
      The Primrose bakery cupcakes are quite good, really just an average cupcake. However I prefer the end result of the hummingbird cupcakes! Hope I've helped xxx

      Delete
  2. u have thanks,I think I will give them ago +see what happens. x

    ReplyDelete